Monday, February 16, 2009

Huge Bouncy Breasts

Actually, that title has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. I was just using it to get your attention.

Back in December, I bought the Fender starter kit and now me and my new P-bass are buddies. We've been jamming by ear to CD's in the basement together.


Ain't she purdy?

Like all dedicated musicians, I have been practicing at least 7 minutes every other day and now, I can play a grand total of four songs.

Three of the four songs, I play quite shittily, making all sorts of buzzy sounds and missing notes. But one, I can play goodly.

Thank God for Social Distortion. Social Distortion is everything I don't embrace in a band, which primarily is popularity and coolness. I don't prefer my rock stars to be tattooed, gel-headed, leather jacket wearing, herpes carrying, narcissistic renegade rebels of rock. I wanna start a band of guys wearing lab coats. But, these guys made a song I can play virtually during my sleep. This droning, shallow, generic stuff can come in quite handy. When I need a good confidence booster, I crank Highway 101 and we have a good old, self-esteem building session. My kids like it. And, now that I can play it, I might as well come out of the closet and say that I like it too. This song is kind of like a family member now. Maybe you wouldn't be friends under ordinary circumstances, but you have to love it because it's part of your life.

I'm discovering that some of the music I like has very complicated bass lines. I'll listen to a song and say to myself...

"I can play that!"

which turns into...

"Oh, that part will be tricky."

and becomes...

"No way in hell can I do that. Oh well..."

Wednesday night, I think I'll go see The Toasters. After all, somebody's got to. The bass lines in that stuff are very intricate and that's what makes The Toasters tasty sort of ear-candy. I'll go up front to watch one of my favorite bassists. Except, he won't be there. He left the band because he had a baby. Well, he didn't have the baby, his wife did. Or, maybe it was his girlfriend. I dunno. But, I'm gonna watch a bass player after trying to be a bass player, and that should be a new experience.

So, what I'm trying to say is...

I don't know what I am really trying to say. I kinda lost it.

Thanks for reading, though.


No comments: