Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Life not like errors

I goofed up two letters at work and it cost me at least 12 hours of my life.

Ya see, I have this thing I do every quarter called the greenbar schedule. It's green...with bars. Except the bars are grey, so it should be called the greybar schedule. Go figure.

Anyway, when the greenbar schedule came for spring quarter there was a "MW" where there should have been a "TR", so I crossed out "MW" and wrote in "TR". Llana has a photocopy to prove it.

After I put together the schedule of some 75 or so courses it gets handed off to registration where goes through a rigorous process using a special technique called "looking". The looked at changes are then entered into a computer and then whammo! The schedule is born and ready for public consumption.

I have so much faith in this process that I guess I didn't double-check enough to make sure my "MW" was properly looked to a "TR".

*And it wasn't. Poo.*

So, guess what? People saw the "MW" and signed up for "MW" even though the instructor and I thought it was "TR". Guess what day yesterday was? Yesterday was "M"! And people showed up expecting something on "M" and nothing happened cus we all thought it was happening on "T".

*This made them "PO'd". And they called my office...a lot*

So, today I spent the better part of 8am-7:30pm talking to people on the phone seeing if they could settle for TR. It turns out a lot of them can't and they said snotty things to me and it sorta makes me PO'd not only at myself but at them.

Ya know what really stings? If you take the average of "T" and "R" you get "S" and if you take the average of "M" and "W" you also get "S". Therefore, MW and TR are almost like the same thing.

So, what's the moral of the story? Check your greenbars carefully. And know this; life doesn't carry much forgiveness. One slip of your actions and you could tarnish someone's image of you or hurt their feelings. One slip of a letter on your greenbar and you're calling PO'd people all day.

We need more Mulligans in life.

No comments: