Monday, June 18, 2007

Goodbye Flat Mushed-up Pillow

I'm heartbroken. I left my favorite pillow at one of the hotels in Alabama or Florida. I wasn't paying much attention to it I guess.

Yes, I bring my own pillow because I sleep on the floor. Long story.

I feel like part of me is gone. I got to know this pillow so well. Over the years I had indentations worked into it in the right places. It was comfortable. We worked together well. We were a team. One time I washed it the wrong way and all the stuffing in it got clumped up, making it very lumpy inside. But, I accepted that and adapted to it. In a strange way, it made us even closer.

But now it's gone. I could probably call down there and see if anyone found it. But, I just know my efforts would be in vain. There's a small chance the hotel might call me and we could be reunited. But, I've been around long enough to know that's not usually how things work out. If I did actually call down there I'd probably encounter something like this:

Hotel: Ring...ring, click..."Hello Y'all, Hotel Alabama, where a confederate flag on your truck earns you a free nights stay. This is Daisy, how may I help you?"

Mick: "Did you find a pillow the other night?"

Hotel: "I don't knowwwww. What does it look liiiiike?"

Mick: "Well, it's white and has a little stain on it. The stuffing in it is kind of lumpy"

Hotel: "Hooooowld on, let me check"

* 15 minutes later *

Hotel: "I have 7 pillows like that"

Mick: "Does one have an imprint in it that looks like the back of a guy's head"

Hotel: "Yeessss"

Mick: "Great! Please send it to me"

Hotel: "How do I fit it in the envelope?"

Mick: "Never mind..." click.

So, I need to accept that it's gone and try to move on.

Last night I was desparate to fill the void. I grabbed a spare pillow out of the closet and slept with it. I regretted that in the morning. The thing was way too thick for me. My head was propped up at too high of an angle and now my neck is sore. I think I was really forcing things my spending the night with another pillow so soon.

The blessing in disguise here is that I discovered that I am not ready for another pillow yet. I'm going to try to sleep without a pillow for a while until I can make an honest assessment of my pillow needs. I've slept without a pillow before and I'll be just fine. I need to actively shop for another pillow. But, I'm not going to run all over town every day and wear myself out. If the right pillow presents itself, I'll know it. I'm very selective and this might take a while. Who knows, maybe I'll never use a pillow again.

Goodbye flat-mushed up pillow. I hope you found someone else who will take care of you. I miss you.

No comments: