Monday, June 4, 2007

Rockin' Robin

I went out for a training ride yesterday. About half way through, toodling along at like 20 mph, I saw two red robins on my right side taking flight from a nearby tree. The one bird whizzed right past my eyes and the other one trailing him bonked me right smack in the front of my head. I looked over my left shoulder and saw that he musn't have been hurt too bad. I only diverted his flight path a little bit.

This was one of the weirdest experiences I've had on my bike. I was wearing my helmet and he hit me pretty hard. He felt really squishy like being hit with a flying Big Mac still in the wrapper. When the bird hit me, it made a really loud squeeky noise. It sounded like one of those dog toys. It startled the crap out of me.

So, a couple of hours later, I get home and take my helmet off. I see that I have several feathers sticking out that were lodged in the vents of my helmet.

What's really funny is that I met another guy riding back home and I rode along side of him and had a conversation for 10 or so miles. It occured to me that he was on my right side so he must have seen the feathers. He didn't say anything about them. I bet I looked like a complete tool.

No comments: