Wednesday, June 20, 2007

HIPAA-crytes

I've been doing a little work at a "senior living community" for about 4 years. Until recently, I did a sort of "show and tell" science show for those who were old enough to not completely care for themselves, but need mental stimulation. I was discontinued in favor of "sing-a-long" ostensibly because my jokes were too smutty or because the nun running the show is too busy to find my phone number. That's okay, she is probably busy studying the Ten Commandments of Driving. Now I just visit a handful of people unofficially. I should quit being on the roster and pick up my last paycheck...but I don't get paid. So that would be a rather strange way of evening the score with the nun lady. Maybe I'll just bash into her car in the parking lot. But she probably took a vow of poverty and doesn't have a car. Damn.

I have to blog about this stuff because it creates so many interesting stories of frustration and gratification. I'm not as much trying to advertise what a great guy I am. That is well established. But, I also have really bad gas sometimes so it all evens out.

Here's an interesting story about HIPAA privacy laws and a guy named Wally.

I've been visiting Wally for about four years. He and I are buds. Despite the age difference, we have a tremendous amount in common. We both lived in Buffalo (Wally for 35 years) and graduated from the University of Buffalo (Wally still wears his ring), we're both scientists (Wally a materials scientist for IBM, Xerox and NCR) and we both lived in the same neighborhood of Kettering about two blocks from each other.

But, we never met each other until I met him at the assisted living center. He was living there while rehabilitating from a broken hip. Like many, he never completely made it and he had to sell his house and stay at the assisted living joint. As you might expect, he was really feeling poopy in the brain about having to give up his house. So, I went over to his house and took a digital photo of it, printed it and framed it for him. I think this won him over. Before this he might have thought I was one of Jehova's Witnesses or trying to to sell him insurance.

Wally has had an exciting life. He was a gunner in B-17's during World War 2. Then he went to college at U.B. and later worked for a long time in the photographic film and printing industry. He has 18 friggin' patents to his name.

Blah blah blah...we've always hit it off and I look forward to seeing him every time I go.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. Wally acted a little different. He kept telling me he was leaving because his room was costing him too much. I must admit, I take some of the things I hear from these folks with a grain of salt. Sometimes we're dealing with dimensia. Sometimes people have an idea of what they want to do but the family pulls all the strings and has intentions to the contrary. So, when I left I told him I'd see him in about 2 weeks and shook his hand. Wally takes my hand, hugs it and tells me he loves me. This took me off guard a bit and so being a relatively insecure guy, I created a joke about it and told him I loved him too...but not in a funny way.

I shouldn't have doubted Wally. I took a trip to see people this week. Wally's not in his room. His name's not on the door. I asked at the desk where he was and if in fact he...was. They told me he moved and that's all they could tell me, because of HIPAA.

F*&$in' HIPAA!

But being the super-sleuth that I am, I asked the lady who changes the garbage where Wally went. Always ask the garbage lady. She knows all. She says he moved to Xenia. Cool, I have a lead. So, then I called another person at the assisted living center and asked the leading question "Which nursing home in Xenia did Wally move to?". She told me. I'm so proud of myself. I should work for the CIA. I now have the tactical wherewithall to circumvent HIPAA laws infiltrate high security areas like nursing homes. The lady also told me that when I visit to make sure I make it clear I'm not representing their organization. I thought that was nice of her. She must be friends with the nun lady.

So, I took a trip to see Wally yesterday at his new digs in Xenia. He shit his pants when he saw me. Well...not literally, which is a possibility at his age. But, I asked him; "You didn't think I'd come see you here, did ya?". He said "No, I knew you'd come, just not this soon".

Cool stuff.

I could have done without the HIPAA runaround though.


No comments: