Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Pissed at Sister

I volunteer at a local assisted living/nursing center. It's a Catholic sponsored facility. I've been going there on the first and third Tuesdays of the month.

On the first Tuesday of the month I visit some relatively disabled folks in the nursing facility. The goal is to just talk and help stem some of the loneliness and boredom they are condemned to. This is a very rewarding experience and I'll blog about these folks some other time.

On the third Tuesday of the month I go to the assisted living center where the people are more independent and in need of some mental stimulation. Here I do a sort of "science show" where I bring science related goodies for show and tell. They call this "Science with Mike" and I've been doing it for about three years all spirit of preventing these people's brains from being caked with plaque.

Welp, as fate would have it, the activity coordinatorship changed hands and it's now being run by one of the nuns. To protect her identity, let's just call her "Sister Witch-Face" for the duration of this blog. Last month, I showed up with butt-loads of stuff (well not literally) from Biology including but not limited to lots of bugs, lizards, frogs and a dog brain. They were all dead and preserved in formaldehyde by the way. When I arrived there was nary three people there. Sister Witch-Face didn't know she was supposed to round everybody up and prod them to go. They don't remember to go on their own. If they remembered stuff like that, they wouldn't need me to come there and try to stimulate them by showing them dog brains and telling them dirty jokes. I felt like some of my efforts were wasted with such small attendance, but I had a great visit with three old ladies and they really admired my dog brain. So, I chalked it up as a rookie mistake by Sister Witch-Face and didn't pay much worry.

Today I visited the other building. Had a great time. After I was finished, I signed out and thought I'd go over to the other building to take a snoop at the activity schedule to make sure the new lady scheduled me on the third Tuesday. I looked at the schedule and when I did, I was more than disappointed to discover that Science With Mike was not on the schedule.

The schedule clearly stated that particular tuesday was "sing-a-long".

Now, if that's not the biggest ass kicking a science educator's ego could ever receive, I don't know what is. To be bumped at a nursing home by a nun playing piano and singing 1940's show tunes. I mean come on..."sing-a-long"? I could understand bingo or hand-bowling, but for fook's sake...sing-a-long?

I heard Sister at her desk around the corner. I almost walked over and paid her a visit from Professor Beelzebub. But instead, I decided to go home, calm down and I'll call her tomorrow.

But until then, sing-a-long with this Sister! You better pray Satan doesn't come and get you!

No comments: