Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Where did I go?

Check this out:

NEWS


IBM retains Kroll Inc. to provide credit monitoring service

IBM is offering a comprehensive identify theft protection service to a specific group of current and former IBM employees whose personal information was included on data tapes inadvertently lost while being transported by a vendor. This service, called ID TheftSmart™, will be provided by Kroll Inc. IBM will provide the service for a full year at no cost to the participant. Those eligible are being notified by mail.

I got a letter at my Dad's house informing me of this. That's where I was living in the summers of 1989, 1990 and 1991. I was a summer co-op working in the surface science department at IBM Endicott, NY. I was staring at the monitor of an electron microscope all day to determine different modes of failure of tiny microcircuits. It was like living in a tiny miniature world of computer circuit lines. Kinda like Tron.
Trust me, the only thing in my life that hasn't changed since then is maybe my height and my social security number. But, I'll take advantage of another corporate goof-up and parlay it into a year of free identity theft protection. Because among a gazzilion other things, identity theft is something that scares me.
And therein lies the irony: Someone might want to steal my identity when I barely want it for myself? Now that would be rich. LOL!

No comments: