Monday, May 12, 2008

Wally

This sounds weird to say, but I was almost pleased to come in today and find a voice mail from my buddy Wally's daughter informing me of his passing. He passed away Thursday, May 1st.

If you remember, I visited him the saturday prior and he was quite uncomfortable. So, it was comforting to know he didn't suffer much longer.

I was referred to Wally by my friend Eric who was also visiting residents at St. Leonard Assisting Living Center in Centerville. He told me "I had to meet this guy because he was from Buffalo".

Welp, I'm sure glad I did. His last name was Schutrum. When I first met him, he showed me memory tool to help pronounce it. He pointed his index finger at me like he was shooting a gun and then switched into the motion of drinking a shot of alcohol. Hence "shoot-rum". I later found out he lived about 2 blocks from me when I lived in Kettering.

So...fellow Buffalonian & U.B. grad, scientist, neighbor. It was fate is suppose.

Here's a photo from last summer.


and his obit from the paper.

Rest in peace, Wally. You're a special guy.

Walter Schutrum

News Death Notice

SCHUTRUM, Walter (Wally) L. Born in Buffalo NY. He passed away on Thursday, May 1st, 2008 at the Hospitality Home East of Xenia. Preceded in death by his beloved wife Mary E. Schutrum of 59 years. A WW II Veteran, Wally was a Staff Sergeant in the US Army Air Corp from 1942 to 1945. He received his Engineering degree from the University of Buffalo, NY. Through his career he was an R & D Engineer with numerous patents. Wally and Mary resided in the Kettering area since the early sixties. He was a member of the Engineers Club of Dayton. Wally loved playing racket and hand ball as well as attending the Kettering Recreation Center. He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law Donald and Marsha Schutrum, daughter and son-in-law Mary Beth and Fred Pitzer; grandchildren Gina Kiser, Duane and Debbie Schutrum and Daryl Schutrum as well as great grandchildren Krystal and Jeffrey Kiser and Kaitlyn Schutrum. Wally has donated his body to the Wright State University School of Medicine's Anatomical gift program. A memorial service will be held 10:30am, Fri., May 16, 2008 at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, 6245 Wilmington Pk., Centerville, OH.

No comments: