Thursday, December 20, 2007

Deborah is O.K.

Hi guys,

In case you don't know, one of my significant others has not been doing well. Deborah Diamondback is suffering from multiple ailments. Her bottom bracket bearings are shot, and require frequent application of anti-seize compound. She underwent a headset overhaul this summer and most recently, her brake calipers succumbed to a pretty nasty case of acute rustiosis.

She is in critical condition, but resting comfortably in my basement.

*sigh*

To think she was between my legs on my way to work just a few days ago. For awhile, I thought I was going to lose her.

But, there is hope: I secured a donor for a brand new shiny pair of Shimano Deore calipers from the Nashbar Institute for Aging All Terrian Bikes. They are being shipped with high priority and should arrive by Monday. She will undergo a relatively routine caliper replacement procedure immediately afterward.

I thank you all for your cards and words of kindess.

I hope this reminds us all of what the holiday season is about. It's not about presents and shopping malls, but our relationships...with pieces of metal plastic and rubber that we can sit on and allow us to go fast.

Happy Holidays.

No comments: