Monday, September 3, 2007

Tamper Poof This!

Why are the bottle necks of bicycle chain lube, automobile antifreeze, motor oil and stuff like that sealed with a piece of plastic that is really hard for goobers like me to open?

I understand that it's the mission of the homo sapien to screw each other over at every opportunity. I remember back in 1982; some crazy sociopath mean person jerk thought it was entertaining to steal Tylenol bottles from supermarkets and put potassium cyanide in them, thus ruining some people's day who already had headaches.

But is it really necessary to make a bottle of bicycle chain lube tamper proof? I mean really, is there some sociopath terrorist out there who is saying to himself :

"I'll get back at the world by stealing bottles of chain lube from a bike shop. Then I'll secretly add some foreign ingredient that will add friction to his drivechain and rob him/her of some watts of power. Then I'll go back to the bike shop and secretly replace these bottles of chain lube. That's how I'll even the score! Whoo hooh ha!"

*thunder clap*

Understandably, messing with a chain could be hazardous. Or lube *ouch*. But lube meant for chains?

I think we're being a bit too careful here.

Thanks for listening. I gotta go lube my chain now. I finally got the bottle open.

No comments: