Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lightning never strikes twice in the same spot. It strikes three times.

I got to catch the tail end of my daughter's 8th birthday bash yesterday.

That's cool. I was worried wouldn't make it. I thought I was going to be sidetracked by that pesky thing called sudden death by lightning strike!

* thunder clap *

I stayed at work and waited for some D-bag student to turn his lab reports late. This consequently, made me leave later and get caught in a strong thunderstorm on the ride home. Lightning was striking very close to me. When this happens I usually measure the closeness using the time interval between the thunder (sound) and the lightning (light). Every second is about one thousand feet. According to my calculations, the time interval was zero seconds, which means approximately holy shit, I am going to die!

I was also riding next to some tall utility poles and this was not making feel the least bit comfy. Your chance of being struck by lightning is one in five thousand. But Darwin's law was not in my favor.

There's a guy on my cycling team who claims to have been struck by lightning three times. Nice guy. Kind of a character. So, I think he's just telling a funny-fib. Funny-fibs are lies you see if you can get away with when you are bored and don't have anything else to do. I once convinced a student that I had never tried a Pringle. My brother once conviced his roomate that the Goodyear Blimp folded up into a van and that's how they transported it from place to place. That guy's a lawyer now.

But, what if this is not a fib and you were actually struck by lightning three times? I suppose you'd earn the nickname "Sparky" for one. But generally:

Strike one: Chalk it up to bad luck. But, you shouldn't have been outside during the storm.
Strike two: I'm having a hard time understanding how this happened. I would be scared as hell of thunderstorms and not even as much as poke my head outside. But, maybe you just have really, really bad luck.
Strike three: You are a potential Darwin award candidate. It's obvious that lightning has a crush on you. You should have been in the basement...in the clothes dryer.

Yesterday's close calls have me thinking twice. I don't wanna "ground out" the next time I'm up to bat.

Especially if I'm the hot wire.

Electricians should appreciate the punnage.

Bye now.

No comments: