Sunday, June 8, 2008

What Bread is NO!

I have an activist in my house.

After tasting the sweet spoils of soft white bread for several months, I decided it was in her best interest to switch to something healthier. Boy, was that a dumb move. I soon found her door plastered with protest signs stating "No wheat bread allowed".



This girl needs to be heard. And, that's where you come in.

The following interview was conducted today:

Mick: I couldn't help noticing the anti-wheat bread signs on your door. What do they represent?

Daughter: It means I don't like wheat bread.

Mick: And what do you hope to accomplish by posting these signs?

Daughter: That no one will bring wheat bread into my room, because I don't like the way it smells and I don't like the way it tastes.

Mick: Who did you hope would see your signs?

Daughter: Everybody who's going into my room.

Mick: Do you have other plans for the future regarding your dislike for wheat bread?

Daughter: Well, can I talk about how I feel about wheat bread?

Mick: Of course.

Daughter: What I feel about wheat bread is...whenever I swallow it, it makes me have a funny feeling in my throat and I have to spit it out.

Mick: Do you feel like you've been oppressed by wheat bread?

Daughter: I do like the bread, but I don't like the wheat in it. I like other types of grains but not wheat bread.

Mick: What do you prefer?

Daughter: I like oatmeal. I don't know any other foods that has grains in it.

Mick: If you could form a group of like-minded people who do not like wheat bread, what would you name it?

Daughter: Wheat bread is NO!

Mick: I see. What would you like to tell the world?

Daughter: I don't like wheat bread.

And that concluded the interview.

I'd like to tell this to the world. Today it might be wheat bread. But tomorrow it could be poverty, social injustice and racism.

Baby steps. Baby steps...

No comments: