Thursday, August 21, 2008

Food is a Powerful Motivator

A phone conversation with a part-time instructor named Richard:

Mike: "Richard, I have an unstaffed lecture I was hoping you could take."

Richard: "Oh...gee...I'm not sure. When is it?"

Mike: "It's Tuesday/Thursday 12:30pm to 1:45pm."

Richard: "Did you say Tuesday and Thursday?"

Mike: "Yes."

Richard: "Oh, I'd love to! Tuesday and Thursday is the best Cafeteria day!"

Mike: "Really?"

Richard: "Yeah! They have all sorts of carved meats."

Mike: "Carved meats?"

Richard: "Carved turkey, carved beef, carved ham. It's by far the best day. Friday is the worst day because they just cook a bunch of leftover stuff."

Mike: "Okay, well maybe I should put more Tuesday/Thursday lectures in the schedule and let everyone know it's carved meat day?"

Richard: "Ha ha! Make sure you tell them about the carved turkey. Elby used to come in on Thursday just because of the carved turkey. It's outstanding. The beef is good too."

Mike: "Okay, Richard, the lecture is yours. I hope the cafeteria will still have some carved turkey at 1:45pm."

Richard: "And carved beef."

Mike: "OK, carved beef. Thanks again Richard."

Richard: "Oh, thank you Mick."

I think I need to post the cafeteria menu when I do staffing. What do you guys think?

What motivates people never ceases to amaze me.

Bye.

No comments: