Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I think the Big O is Too Big

I must question the "organic" food movement!

I've been thinking about organic food and I gotta say, I think in some cases, it boils down to being a status symbol or just food for rich folk.

Take bananas (but not mine please). If bananas are sprayed with pesticide, does it matter if you remove the peel anyway? Maybe. And I gotta admit, the working conditions might be better for the average organic banana worker than the ones dealing with large amounts of chemicals. Organic banana workers have to trim weeds with machetes and go around shoo-ing bugs off the plants manually. And nowadays banana shoo-ers probably want full dental and medical.

So, maybe this extra banana-intensive labor makes organic bananas like 50% more expensive. And it's your choice if you want to go that route. It's just not a choice that I believe in fully. Back in 1987, my body had more chemicals and radiation thrown at it than Bruce Banner and I'm still here. *face twitch* And, I don't ruin blue jeans when I get mad or nothin'.

Then there's synthetic food additives. I'm pretty good friends with these. Have you ever tried to eat "real" peanut butter? I think I still have some stuck to the roof of my mouth! So, if you're just asking me, hydrogenate the sucka. But only partially, please.

Xanthan Gum? Bring it on. Polysorbate 80? You bet. FD&C Yellow #5? Give me some zig zags and I'll smoke dat shit.

And I'm way more comfortable with my veggies being fertilized by anyhydrous ammonia than I am eating stuff that's been buried under cow poop.

So, give me all the synthetic fertilizers and food additives you want, and give 'em to me now! It's the natural stuff that scares me!

* Mmmm...anyhydrous ammonia... *

No comments: