Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A day in the life of a visitor guy/dude/person

So, when my grandfather died, I decided to do "friendly visits" with older people in nursing homes.

How rewarding. Please consider it for yourself.

But, sometimes, there's the "luck of the draw". Don't let it derail you.

For example, today.

Today, I felt as if my back was against the wall. My job gets lots busier tomorrow.

No that busy though. You guys know. I wouldn't be typing this shit if I was that busy.

With one more day left until reality, I thought today would be a good day to see "The Peeps".

I visited a friend's grandfather in Hospice at 3pm. For those in the know, 3pm till dinner time is like, prime nappy-time. But, I walked in anyhow while the grandpa was asleep and had a pretty good conversation...

...while he was pretty much asleep.

Pretty comprehensive, too!

I wonder if he'll remember it. It's all good. I'll go back another time.

Then, I drove to St. Leonard in Centerville, where I do a once a month science demo to help stimulate people's minds. I went to Ruth's room, who I've been visiting for some 5 years.

She was also sleeping. I started to wonder if I make people drowsy. If you watched my students during class, you would know what I mean.

Forging ahead, I went to my man, Chuck's room. Chuck was a WWII fighter pilot. Chuck wasn't there. I asked the activities coordinator, Sister Christine, where the hell Chuck was. Except, I didn't say "hell" because she's very Catholic and has never...

...never mind.

"He's down at Memoirs", she said. Ostensibly, "Memoirs" is an activity where the residents do something about....memoirs.

I walked to the room where Memoirs was being held. Lots of people were in there including Chuck and a lady who's name escapes me and maybe escapes her too. They were busy and I didn't feel like I should interrupt.

So, I chilled outside, looking as cool and assimilated as any 39 year old, shaved legged, skinny guy would look and I read the activities calendar on the bulletin board.

"Science with Mike" had to be rescheduled this month. Normally it's the third Tuesday of the month. But, about two weeks ago, Sister Christine told me there was a conflict and asked if I could reschedule for the fourth Tuesday of the month. I told her this would be fine, because my job enables me to disappear for multiple hours at a time on most days.

Well, guess what I got bumped for?

"Self Defense With a Cane"!

No shit.

Anyhow, this inspired me to barge in on "Memoirs". As quietly as I could, I shook Chuck's hand and waved at the familiar lady, while some other lady was reading her...memoirs, I guess! Then, I walked out...

...and immediately struck up a conversation with two other ladies that looked familiar. They showed me the "coffee lounge". I talked with them for a while and then told them I had better leave soon.

Here's the punchline: as I was walking away, I overheard them say something about me...

...and all my frustration just melted away.

If you have extra time. Invest it in older people.

Trust me.

No comments: