Saturday, February 7, 2009

University of Buffalo Athletics Has Reached Another Level!

The University of Buffalo football team won it's first MAC title in 2008 and was subsequently invited to The International Bowl, the first college bowl game it ever attended.

The basketball team is currently 16-5 and sitting first place in the MAC East.

But that all means nada compared to what I saw Friday:

I was in the library at work wayyyy down here in Dayton, Ohio and a guy walked by wearing a leather black and blue UB jacket. When I saw this, my eyes popped out and I immediately ejaculated the words:

"I went to UB!"

Dude shot me a puzzled look.

"That jacket. I went to the University of Buffalo!"

"Is that what this is?", he asked, and then proceeded to take off his backpack and show me the back of the jacket which had the logo of the UB Bull emblazoned on it.

"Then, what's this?" As he turned around and showed me his back.

"That's the UB Bull!"

"It's not a Buffalo?"

"No, it's a Bull. A blue freaking bull!", I asserted.

"Oh. Someone gave me this jacket."

* Translation: he bought it at Goodwill. *

But, that's cool. No, it's really cool. Because it confirms to me that my alma mater has reached another level of college athletics.

Let me 'splain.

There's the level of athletics where hardly anyone knows your team and you live in total obscurity. UB has finally crawled out of that pit. Now, they enjoying the next quantum level where people wear your shit for a while and then trade it into the Goodwill. Then, other people think it looks cool and wear it even when they don't know what the hell it is.

So, congratulations, University of Buffalo. You finally made it to the level where people wear your shit and don't know what the hell it is.

Next stop, people wearing your stuff because it's cool, and then swear it's their favorite team. But, they like the team just because the stuff looks pretty and they don't really know jack about the heritage of the team itself.

That's where the North Carolina Tarheels got started. And, look where they are now.

Go UB.

I would have offered to buy dude's jacket off him. But, he was a little stinky.


No comments: