Saturday, April 12, 2008

All Ages Understand Science

I dropped my daughter off at Church so she could go through a class for her first communion and learn how to become a cathaholic.

We got there and class hadn't started yet. She's shy and was feeling a little anxious and wanted me to stick around.

We sat next to some little hyper guy named Benjamin. At least that's what his lil' panda bear name tag read.

Each little kid got a ziploc bag full of stuff and it was clear to me that Benjamin had discovered how to empty it's contents and wear it on his head like an Army Beret.

What a funny little guy. Benjamin's parents didn't stick around, by the way.

Next on Benjamin's agenda is taking a thumb tack out of the bag and scratching the table with it. I tell him, "Hey Benjamin, that's not good for Mr. Table". The little bed-wetter stops for one minute and starts again.

Then, he tries to inflate the ziploc bag with his breath and pop it. He wasn't successful at that because he couldn't work the ziploc thingy.

Finally, the little booger holds the bag to his mouth and starts breathing in and out really fast. I thought about letting him do this until he passed out but I was feeling like a nice guy and decided otherwise. So, I warned him:

"Hey Benjamin, if you keep doing that, you'll go into respiratory acidosis".

"Where is that?" Benjamin asked.

"That's when the pH of your blood gets so low that your hemoglobin denatures and you get really sick and die", I said.

Benjamin put the bag down and didn't touch again for at least 30 seconds.

I don't know what happened after that because my daughter spoke up and told me I didn't have to stick around any more.

No comments: