Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Last Lecture

Serious blog alert!

If you're feeling foopin' poopy, you should watch this:

Thanks Nicole.




Randy Pausch; nerdy professor, funny guy. He would have had me despite the fact that he has terminal pancreatic cancer.

At first, I was a bit skeptical. After all, isn't it easier to be brave and upbeat when you have cameras filming you, a lecture room of 500+ applauding you and a nation of supporters?

It makes me feel for some of the people I encounter in my volunteer work. They die after being shoved into a corner of a nursing home and have little interaction with anyone in their last days. That scares the hell out of me. If I'm unlucky enough to make it into my late years and I have a mini-stroke or two in the backyard while I'm raking leaves, ain't nobody gonna hear about it.

But this guy fully acknowledges how lucky he is. And, I especially admire that.

His point that resonates with me the most: "If you wait long enough, people will eventually show you their good side." I think I needed to hear that.

Thanks professor.

No comments: