Friday, October 17, 2008

Ain't gonna happen...

I am very fortunate to work at a community college where I bump elbows with a wide demographic spectrum of people.

Many of these people are young adults. I find myself straddling the two roles:

I serve as a source of guidance to the people who truly do not have their shit together. And there are quite a few of those. I'll spare the detail.

But, I also find myself impressing upon young people that being out in the working world and having responsibility doesn't necessarily mean you have to lead a boring life or abandon things that you did when you were younger. If anything, clinging to these kinds of things helps you less resent the responsibilty that life thrusts upon you.

Case in point; as I type this, I have a splitting headache and my ears are ringing, because I went to a club until 1am to see one of my favorite ska/punk acts. And, I got a little boozy and woozy in the process. I was the 3rd oldest person there and was (for sure) the only guy drinking chardonnay at the bar.

Back in September, I was standing on the registration line to help a student register into the last available slot in a chemistry course. They let me bypass the line, but I always feel "elitist" and guilty about doing this. So, I was standing next to a young man who was wearing a T-shirt with The Briggs on it. I struck up a conversation with him about how I saw The Briggs at a club when they opened for The Toasters. Dude didn't quite expect to hear this from a guy with greying hair wearing dockers and a button down shirt. he was a nice guy.

Back to last night; a guy with a red dyed mohawk approaches me at the Mustard Plug show.

"Do you teach at Sinclair?" he asked.

"Yeah." I replied.

"I'm the guy with The Briggs shirt!".

"Hope you don't have an early class tomorrow". I said.

We shook hands. Not the regular way, but the cool way with the thumbs extended upward.

And we agreed that Mustard Plug friggin' rocks!

So, as I approach 40, I thought it was maybe a time for me to start to mature and conserve myself a bit.

Give up cycling road racing? Ain't gonna happen.

Stop going to see rock bands at clubs mid-week? Ain't gonna happen.

Grow up? Ain't gonna foopin' happen.

Done typing now? Gonna happen.


1 comment:

Richard McCreary said...

Fight the good fight Mickey. Old is only a state of mind.
RIch