Friday, January 16, 2009

Chelsey Sullenberger; hero or goose killer?

How quick we are to place people up on a pedestal. Yesterday, Chelsey "Sully" Sullenberger flew a big, giant Airbus A320 into a flock of harmless, innocent geese.




Yet, all we can seem to do is praise him for how he steered the plane into the Hudson river, performing a fairly routine water landing. While passengers of the flight promptly forgot that their seat may also be used as a floatation device, the plane itself slammed into the Hudson River. This might have very well stunned or even killed several fish if it weren't for the fact that it was the Hudson river, where fish cannot survive.

This makes me think; when I ride my bike to work, I manage to steer clear of geese and respect their need for space. I gleefully ride through their poo and even respond to their aggression by hissing back. But, in our jet-set, fast-paced lifestyle we ignore the needs of birds and geese and it's up to honkeys like me to cry for air space reform.

Every year, there are approximately 4,000 documented cases of planes striking birds. Yet, is the focus of our attention centered around the birds themselves? Noooooo! We are too fixated on human lives and preserving the functionality of our big shiny, expensive airplanes. When plane/bird encounters (PBE's) do occur, the burned and shredded remains of the innocent birds are whisked away, sans memorial service to the Smithsonian Feather Identification Lab where they are studied so that we might find out how we can avoid messing up our shiny expensive airplanes in the future.

The time for action is now. There must be a comprehensive, concerted government sponsored effort to provide a safe haven for birds who live adjacent to airports. We all know birds lived in the Hudson river area prior to the arrival of Laguardia Airport. We owe them a reservation of airspace, where they can recreate, chirp, lay and hatch eggs. Perhaps we should institute a allotment of time similar to adult swim at the local pool where they can fly wherever they want. Whatever. But it needs to be done now before more of these tragedies occur.

Don't you think that would be tweet?

Unfortunately, these right wing people wouldn't understand.

No geese or fish were harmed in the creation of this blog.


9 comments:

MiamiCondoForum DotCom said...

hilarious. but seriously, that guy is a hero.

get_real said...

Man, get real. Sure it's a bummer some geese got toasted, but how would you feel if your mother-brother-daughter was on that plane? That man is a hero. I love critters, but people come first. If my family was in danger, I'd kill a kitten with my bare hands if it would save them somehow.

angelking said...

two words......liberal idiot.


ak

Timeshare Jake said...

I don't find this halarious at all. This is sick. This guy did a great deed and it doesn't need to be examined for anything but that.

As a cyclist, I have had geese fly at me, almost getting caught in the spokes of my wheels. These animals are often a menace where I am from in Chicago. These geese settle in man-made lakes along bike trails, that doesn't seem like a natural habitiat to me.

Michelle said...

Ummm they're JUST birds. The human population eat more birds in day than airplanes kill in a year. This is the dumbest article I've ever read!

Julie said...

Oh please tell me this is your lame attempt at sarcasm? I have to agree with Michelle, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Jarhead84 said...

It's sad that there are people out there who do think this way. This is satire pure and simple. After reading Micky's bio I can see what a funny guy he is. Kudos to you Mickey for having a sense of humor.

Jarhead84 said...

It's sad that there are people out there who do think this way. This is satire pure and simple. After reading Micky's bio I can see what a funny guy he is. Kudos to you Mickey for having a sense of humor.

Jarhead84 said...

Sorry I'm new to this. Feel free to embarrass me as you wish.