Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Dad Built an Octagon Thingy

My Father, who had a heart attack this summer, is using his second lease on life to the fullest.

Sure, we all dream of building an octagon on the roof of our house. But, do we ever go about it? Hardly ever. Why? Because, we're paying attention to petty stuff like chasing the almighty dollar and struggling to achieve professional advancement. This causes us to miss out on what's
really important in life. And, that, my friends, is building wood geometric structures that sit atop our house that constantly measure the temperature.

You heard me right. This isn't one of those garden-variety octagons. This one provides real-time updates of the temperature in the octagon as it magnificently captures the sun's rays with its semi-transparent walls.



Notice the brightly colored orange cone on top. That's what I call craftsmanship.


Wards off low-flying airplanes like nobody's business.

Now, I hear all you naysayers, you're saying "
That thing is worthless and depreciates property value".

Well whoa there, eager McBeaver! Why not take some time to ponder all the wonderful things a roof octagon can do? For this eight-sided enigma, the possibilities are infinite. Maybe even more than infinite! For example, there were rumors of cock fights taking place in my hometown. The new roof octagon provides a high altitude venue for UFC-type rooster bouts of male chickeney dominance. The latest temperature reports show a significantly elevated temperature in octagon. My Dad, might just incorporate this into his weight loss routine. He only needs to lose a mere 17 pounds of water weight before he cracks sub-200 pounds for the first time since 9th grade. A rooftop sauna could be just what the doctor ordered.

Truth be told, I don't really know what the octagon does or is. And, that's good enough for me. Because, when Dad finally goes to the great octagon in the sky, I live further away from my Dad's house than my brothers do.

And, when the time comes to finally dismantle it, I know they will beat me to the punch.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time you post something about your dad, it explains a lot more about you.

HIOAg said...

cslone:

- We can't help ourselves !
- It's our Dad's fault !

His Dad

Unknown said...

It is a never ending cycle. I'm like my dad, who is like his. Which is really scary.

I'm glad to see you're still around after your scare this summer. I especially like hearing Mike's stories about his childhood. Never a boring time back then I'm sure.