Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bicycle Repairman to the rescue!

What do you do when you someone provides a service that costs too much?

I think, if it's possible, you learn how to do it yourself. Education is empowering. Sometimes you can learn on your own. For example, you can learn to cook your own meals by watching the TV Food Network. Or, you can learn through trial and error because the stakes are not too high with cooking.

Unless of course, the stakes are steaks.

I'm trying to learn how maintain and repair my beater and higher end bikes and I'm running into brick walls. I mean figuratively. I'd really be repairing my bike a lot if I were running into real brick walls.

I have the book Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance. It's very good and has taught me most things. But, reading a book isn't my style of learning for everything. I need more.

Cus I'm not all that bright.

So, does anyone know where I can find a course on bike wrenching that is close to Dayton, OH? I found some saturday afternoon sessions at a bike shop in Chicago. But that's a hell of a commute.
Please help.

What inspired this?

I went to the bike shop to have my main racing mama, Suzy Fuji, tuned up. The wrench there (not the guy I like) said my tire had been rubbing on the fork and damaged it. I've known about this for two years. I remember early in Suzy's life, it was hard to get her front wheel aligned properly and it rubbed the fork. Eventually, I learned to seat the wheel straight on my own.

Today, wrench guy called me and told me the fork is dangerous, could break and I needed a new front fork. And, he had one he could sell me for only...

* Drumroll *

$249 plus $20 labor.

Pfeh, "fork that". I told him, I'd come in and look at it.

So, I went to the shop and using the special "looking" procedure, I saw it had worn about 1/16 of an inch through, but there seemed to be no fraying (of carbon fibers). So, I was inclined to blow it off. I thought it was laughable, actually.

Wrench said I was crazy and it wasn't safe. Ya know, because he's looking out for me.

And my 269 bucks.

I told him I'd take it to work and have engineering X-ray it. This made him make a funny face.

I admit, I gave him a line of total bullshit. I don't know anyone at work who can X-ray it. But, it's good to have some technical jargon handy to put sales people back on their heels.

So, he backed off and I took it over to my neighbor two houses down. He looked at it and thought it was dangerous too.

But I think he's also full of it. Why? Because his house is always completely spotless and his wife does all the cleaning. Let me just say I have my theories why he wasn't the best guy to ask.

So, I asked my Dad and he blew it off.

He also blew off his angina attacks though. But, he also was an engineer with 10 patents.

Here's the bottom line; it would have broken sometime in the past two years if it was gonna break. It's less than 5% worn through on the one side and it looks like it hasn't even worn down to the carbon fiber.

Finally, I'm doing a crit race Sunday with a section of cobblestones. If it breaks I accept full responsibility. I'm hoping I can rely on my critical thinking skills here.

Every time I go to a bike shop, I have that feeling I'm going to get screwed in the rear derailleur.

Ya know why? Because I am!

I just wish they'd use some teflon grease next time and be a little more gentle.

So...I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading this. It was probably not too exciting for non-cyclists. But I'm sure anyone who has visited a car dealership can empathize.

If you know something, get with me about bike repair classes please?

I'm sick of bike shops.

Sorry if you work at one, or like them.

Bye.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

45mm rake, carbon fork, 1 and 1/8" steerer. They go all the time on ebay for less than $150. Half of them are the same Fuji factory fork. I'll even install it for you for free.

Unknown said...

Hell, I've even got a brand new Fuji fork, off the Aloha that should work. It's red and black, so it won't really match, but I've seen your choice of shoes, so you probably won't care. :)