Sunday, July 27, 2008

My 22nd high school reunion

My wife and I went to the same elementary school, junior high, high school, two year college and university. And, we never met until I was almost done with college.

That's a pretty unusual set of circumstances that do not happen to be the subject of this blog.

She graduated high school in 1988 and I in 1986. This means I was able to go to my 20th high school reunion two years ago and then hers last night. I knew a lot of people from that class. They were sophomores when I was a senior. And I hung out with lots of different groups of people back then. Like now, I was also not very mature and found myself comfortable with a younger crowd.

This reunion was much better run than mine was. And, I'm not just saying that because the people who ran it might read this.

So, if you'll have me, I thought I'd list just some of the highlights of this occasion. Here they be:

Tom is everyone's friend: By far and away, the most successful person to graduate from our high school graduated in 1988. His name is Tom Tull. Tom is a big-time executive movie producer. Everybody was hoping he'd attend the reunion, maybe flying in on a helicopter or something. But, he's too busy being rich, so he didn't make it. But, let me tell you, he was there in spirit because everyone was quick to volunteer the last instance they heard from or saw Tom , blah blah blah. I'm sure they would have done the same had Tom been a homeless bum.

I'm glad to be alive: I saw an old friend Greg. Co-conspirator of our audio and video skits. As soon as he saw me he made a funny face and then yelled "Mick! I heard you died!". I walked over to him, did the "secret handshake" (where we join hands and simultaneously pretend we are being electrocuted) and informed him that I was very much alive. Greg smokes pot and this might have something to do with his confusion.

No one believed Santiago: All the 1988 classmates wore name tags. Well, I got a little buzzy and felt a little left out. So, I put on the name tag of a different person; a foreign exchange student named Santiago. I have no foopin' clue who Santiago was. But apparently, he wasn't in attendance because his name tag wasn't taken. If people didn't recognize me, I told them I was Santiago and performed my best "Fez" impersonation. It didn't really work.

Noodles got me choked up: I saw Jeff, an old friend from the wrestling team. Jeff was always very interested in everyone's welfare and I always appreciated this about him. We called him "Noodles" because he was so flexible. Jeff was still a junior in high school when I completed my cancer treatment and was given a clean bill of health. He told me he vividly remembers being in the trainer's office in school when he heard the news that I was clean. It touched me that this news was so important to him. What a great guy.

I'd like to write a very poignant ending to this blog. But, I have a hangover. Did I mention one of the main reasons this reunion was better than the one two years ago? Open bar.

Bye.

No comments: