Monday, July 7, 2008

RIP Don

I rode the rail trail to work today.

Just west of Eastwood Metropark, there's an abandoned building that looks like an old railroad station. I've seen a lot of clues that would indicate there's homeless people living there. Some of these clues include...homeless people for starters!

Today I rode by and saw a makeshift cross that read "Don". It was made out of two old boards.

I figured it was a tribute to a guy named Don. I'm assuming he lived there and the tribute cross was made by a friend or loved one who must have lived with him or known him.

I rode back home today and was looking for the cross so I could take a second look at it.

But, it wasn't there. I assume someone from Metroparks thought it was ugly and removed it. Or, somebody else messed with it somehow.

If this isn't a reminder of unimportant our lives are on Earth, I don't know what is.

Of course, Earth's vast number of calloused and unfeeling people sure help that process along quite a bit.

Don't they?

No comments: